Saturday, May 19, 2007

"heavy"


I guess I'll sign in under my superhero personality. [Supergirl-- Lean, muscular, and feminine. Honest and a defender of the Innocent.]

I'd like to add to the Green Lantern's ramble on art criticism (see blog May 8th, 2007).

There is a joke: "What is the difference between an Art Fair and a Flea Market?"
Answer: There is more teeth at an Art Fair. Now groan.

There are a few other differences: 1) Art can be made with items found at flea market. 2) Art at a flea market is always "ironic." 3) Usually you don't find items that fell off a truck at an art fair. 4) At an art fair, the artist's work has gone through a jury process. And, here is where the critic rears its head.

Now the jury does serve an important role in maintaining quality at a show and keeping the fair free from items that fell from the back of a truck. And, with this in mind-- I received a leter today. That read "We regret to inform you that bla bla numerous bla bla this year's superior quality bla bla bla no show for you! Please apply again next year." Ah the critics.

Lets ignore that this letter does nothing to explain the weakness of my work-- bad slides, too functional, too abstract, too red. There is a belief that 'art comes from within.' So not only are my insides unworthy of the show, but I must figure how to improve the work on my own. Also, keeping in mind that I and other artist who earn a living only on what we sell, see our income directly affected on the decisions made by these juries. So while I am examing my insides let me ask---

Who makes up this gaurd at the art fair gate? And, do they realize what effects they have?

Often the jury board is volunteers or the 'artistic' friends of the neighborhood, church or commuity having the art fair. They sit dowm one asigned Saturday and say 'ye or ne,' until all the booth spaces are full. Never do they deem the quality of the the applicants so low; they elect not to fill up every possible booth space (the art fair is about raising money). What they like is what gets in. What if an artist has a product that is pushing the bounderies and only 5% of the people like it, and those 5% support the artist financialy and emotionaly, it might be worth participating in the show. Think of how many people attend St. James. But, with a 5% like-ablity percentage you will hardly ever get into past a jury. In a way the jury process, while there to maintain a quality show-- also pigeon holes artists into a mold. Limiting what they are daring enough to create and atempt to sell. Funny how if art is seen as means of self expression, it(art) must climb the walls designed to protect it. Have you walked through an art fair recently and not seen anything new?

Back to my rejection letter-- in this instance I had the opportunity to witness my judging. After I drove to Cincinnati and waited for my number, I witnessed an elderly female jurier insist on turning one of my very large lamps upside down and remark "heavy." The whole process took less then 90 seconds, but the word 'heavy' was repeated three times.

def Art: I know what art is, I just don't know what I like.

No comments: