Thursday, May 10, 2007

Haiku

Haiku is a form of traditional Japanese poetry that is a 17-syllable verse consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables. It contains a special season word (the kigo) representative of the season the poem is set, or a reference to the natural world. Here are my attempts while doing laundry.

Dandelion seeds
Soft and white, floating weightless
A gentle breeze blows

A silvery fish
Hiding in waters sparkles
A crane lands nearby

Chime bells ring in tune
Colorful Kuma says hi
Pretty, pretty girl.

I don't know what inspired me to write haiku tonight, but maybe partly because I've been told that I was youthful and sparkly today, and not my usual haggard and tired self. I will take that as a compliment. Anyone in the mood for sushi?

1 comment:

Comedic Cow said...

Ray works on Haiku
Late into the sleepless night.
I wake, read and smile.